Hanauma Bay
When I first arrived in Hawaii, this was one of the top things Julius had planned for us to do for my first day but it just so happened that the day we wanted to go the preserve was closed and i have been wanting to go ever since and yesterday was the day we went! Before you're allowed to go and swim/snorkel in the bay you watch a film explaining the do's and don'ts of the reef and what you can expect to see. It was very educational and interesting to me, but mostly I was just hoping I would get to see a sea turtle.
As put on our gear and began our swim out the reef it was incredible how the temperature of the ocean would change drastically and I found myself trying to stay in the warm spots as often as possible. The reef was so close to the shore and because we were in shallow water swimming above it took some getting use to {mainly because I wanted to make sure I followed the videos rules and not come in contact with the reef} but as I became more comfortable the easier to navigate.
We've been snorkeling a few other places around the world but by far hanauma bay as been my favorite and also has had the best variety of fish and other reef life...not to mention the clear water. There were plenty of school's to follow and also some biggin's that would sneak attack every once in a while. But the bullethead parrot fish, oh man he was HUGE. He was so big that I could hear him bite of a piece of reef and chew it...so very entertaining and loud. Some of the fish seemed to be as interested in me as I was in them and would come a pretty close to me check me out, get bored and swim off. I was impressed with how non-skittish all of the creatures were and it was great to be apart of their wold for a bit.
On my way back tot he shore there was reef on one side and open water with just sand {no reef around} and out of one of the reef canals came....a turtle! It was truly amazing and immediately I turned around and followed the little guy where ever his little heart was going to take him, I was committed. He was just moving along chill as could be not even caring I was following him. It was amazing!! I wish I had had an underwater camera so that I could have pictures of my little friend.
One of the best day's on the island so far.
^^^a little excited about my turtle stamp^^^
^^^& this was how the rest of the day was spent^^^






1 comment:
I am loving all your pictures. they are beautiful! making me a little jealous, definitely, especially as there is a fresh dusting of snow today, but keep it up!
Post a Comment